Chicken Tinola is one of the best chicken broth based recipe that is usually best during rainy season. Sipping that hot and delicious broth combined with herbs and spices will surely make you feel hungry for more.
Toi's Tinolang Manok
- 3 chicken breast, cut up into small pieces
- 2-3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, zested
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 chayote, peeled and cubed (You can also substitute green papaya or winter melon)
- olive oil
- 3/4-1 cup water
1. Saute garlic, onion and ginger in oil for 30 seconds over med heat.
2. Add chicken and saute until chicken meat turns white. Add fish sauce.
3. Cover and simmer until chicken is almost completely cooked (7-10 min.). At this point, there will be a fair amount of broth, since all the juices from the chicken are coming out.
4. Add water (I usually add 3/4 cup and that gives me a pretty good, concentrated flavor. my mom adds a little more than a cup, and the flavor is much mellower and sometimes I add more fish sauce at the table. really, you should just experiment).
5. Add chayote and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. Serve over rice.