One of the best and affordable dished in the Philippines. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook. It suits best during vacations and outings especially on beaches where you had to cook most of in the grill.
Toi's Grilled Tilapia
- fresh whole tilapia, trimmed and cleaned (gutted and scaled)
- tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt or fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Banana leaves or foil for wrapping tilapia
1. some slits into the flesh of the tilapia, down to the bone. You can do this several ways: parallel to the backbone, or perpendicular (make it several slashes then), or use crosscuts.
2. Mix garlic, ginger if using, onions, tomatoes, salt or fish sauce and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Press down on tomatoes a bit with a fork to bring out the juices.
4. Carefully this mixture into tilapia cavity and into each cut/slash you’ve made.
5. Wrap the whole tilapia in banana leaves or foil and cook on the grill for about 20 minutes or just until cooked through and fish is fragrant.
6. If using the oven preheat to 400°F and bake, wrapped in leaves or foil, on a baking sheet, for about 20 minutes.
7. Serve hot!